Dance | virtual art | robots | ai
I am a technology-based artist and researcher with a major interest in movement stemming from my days as a dance maker. I have collaborated on electronic artworks worldwide, including at the International Symposium of Electronic Art (ISEA), ZERO1SJ, SIGGRAPH, Melbourne Festival, Venice Biennale, Siggraph Asia, Ars Electronica Futurelab, Tokyo International Forum and Art Science Museum Singapore. My current artistic work explores human robot interaction mediated by extended reality environments. I was an Australian Antarctic Arts Fellow in 2019/2020 supported by the Australian Antarctic Division and Australian Network for Art and Technology. I was lucky enough to travel on the last Australian Antarctic voyage of the research vessel Aurora Australis to the Antarctic continent. I’m currently a senior lecturer and researcher in the Centre for Transformative Media Technologies at Swinburne University of Technology.
I have an extensive history working with motion capture, 3D visualisation, Augmented and Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Volumetric Capture and Human Movement. My recent research combines these fields in the areas of art, health, science and engineering.
recent research projects
- Holobody: Advancing the Future of Mixed Reality Technologies, Australian Research Council (ARC), Discovery Project, (2022-2024)
- Safety at Work: an applied research project to integrate immersive experiential learning with positive behaviour support training in the disability sector (2019-2022)
- Robot Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery – An Ergonomic Investigation (2018 – 2021)
- Last Dance of the Aurora Australis, Australian Antarctic Arts Fellowship (2020)
- A Quantitative Ergonomic Study of Robotic Surgery – Can Console Design Limit Injury and Aid Gender Equity in Surgery? (2022-2025)
- Social, cultural and personal implications of the integration of Augmented Reality and Artificial Intelligence in workplace situations (2018-2021)
- Child in the Wild, interactive immersive robot exhibition at Art Science Museum, Singapore, Australia Council, 2017